Thursday, July 05, 2012

Dumpling festival

My family decided to make dumplings again this year, not so much as 15kg last year, it was hellish we ended around 3am for that! Making dumplings isn't an easy feat, preparations take place as early as about a week ago!


Bicky chopping up the garlics and onions


Cooking the mushrooms. I love mushrooms so looking at this picture makes me SUPER hungry right now. Not my fault if this post ends abruptly lol





Bicky had to soak these leaves one week before to ensure that the leaves are clean. I heard that those stalls selling dumplings don't even soak them so thoroughly, and their dumplings just mainly consist of a lot of rice and some meat only and they sell at such ridiculous prices! That's why i love eating home-made ones. :) Anyway after few days they will give out this smell so i often have to cover it with a lid. Those leaves unused will be dried and stored to be used next time. Yes please don't throw and waste okay?!




I took 2 hours plus off my studying time to help around. Every year i will forget how to wrap, but after a while i remembered already. Since im left handed it isn't really easy to knot them. But oh well, practice makes perfect!

Was bored while waiting for the first batch of dumplings..


'Drying' my hands lol. Bicky chased me around for 2 good rounds




Watching bobby fall asleep. He is so cute~

 Sitting on the doorstep.. waiting



And.. DONE! Yes I was damn happy to be the guinea pig for the tasting. It was good~ Mom was happy and no sooner after wrapping the dumplings she started calling her friends and delivered them to their houses. It is really a good tradition yearly, to make them and share with others. I remembered bringing some to my workplace last year, and this year, i delivered some to friends as well, for those who told me they wanted and those who helped me last year :)

Sadly, its the last time we are making those.. so i'll always remember this experience. After all i grew up eating those. This year is really the year of change.You'll find out soon..